I've had a ticket

Q. Why have I received a notice for speeding?
Your notice is issued in line with the government strategy to make roads safer for all road users. Exceeding the legal speed limit is an offence for which a fine and penalty points are considered. These measures are in place to help reduce the number of people killed or seriously injured on our roads. Your driving behaviour is the key to the success of this strategy.

Q. Am I eligible for a Speed Awareness Course?
Speed Awareness Courses are available as an alternative to prosecution under the Fixed Penalty system for those drivers who have been detected exceeding the posted speed limit, but within the parameters deemed suitable by Staffordshire Police.

Drivers who are eligible for a Speed Awareness Course will be referred automatically and will be notified in writing by the Staffordshire Safer Roads Partnership following the issue of a Notice of Intended Prosecution.

Drivers cannot self refer to this scheme nor can they attend a course if they have attended a Speed Awareness Course within the last three years.

Q. What is a Conditional Offer?
This gives you the opportunity to settle the matter without having to go to court. The fine is £100. You will also have three penalty points added to your driving licence. You may still elect to have the matter heard at Court. More than nine valid points on your driving licence prevents the matter being dealt with by 'Conditional Offer' and you will need to notify the Central Ticket Office in writing.

Q. How long will the penalty points stay on my licence?
Penalty points are valid for a period of three years, but cannot be removed from your licence until four years have elapsed.

Q. What should I do if I've lost my licence?
You should contact DVLA on 08702 400009 urgently for a duplicate. Failure to produce your driving licence will result in the matter being dealt with by the magistrate's court. However please ensure the Central Ticket Office is aware of your situation as they may be able to help.

Q. The vehicle was being driven by one of my employees / I was not driving, what happens now?

  1. Business: As a responsible employer you have a duty to identify the driver of the vehicle in question. If you are a company car owner your records should assist you to pinpoint the driver. Failure to nominate a driver could result in your company being taken to court.
  2. Private: As the registered owner of the vehicle you are required by law to provide the full name and address of the driver at the time of the alleged offence.
  3. In either case: Failure to nominate a driver may result in six penalty points and a larger fine.

Q. Are my human rights infringed if I reply to this paperwork?
The Human Rights Act does not affect the returning of this paperwork. Primary legislation dictates that you are obliged to provide the information requested. Failure to do so could result in prosecution.

Q. Can I plead mitigation in these circumstances?
You have the right to challenge the offence in Court. The Magistrates will then determine any fine and penalty points awarded. You are reminded that the Courts have the right to increase the fine and penalty points awarded if they see fit. You may also be ordered to pay Court costs. You may also write to the Customer Services Supervisor at the Central Ticket Office with any mitigation which should also include evidence to support your claim. (Please note that whilst the Supervisor will review your file, it does not mean that you will automatically be excused.)

Q. What happens if I ignore this Notice of Intended Prosecution?
The Fixed Penalty process is simple and quick and gives the opportunity in most cases to resolve the matter without the involvement of the Courts. Failure to respond will result in your case being passed to the Courts for failure to provide the required information.

Q. I sold my car recently - why is it still under my name?
It is your responsibility as the previous owner to notify the DVLA of any changes in ownership of the vehicle. However, until the new keeper notifies the DVLA that they now own the car no change to the record is made.

Q. Who sets the speed limits?
Speed limits are set by the relevant Highways Authority. On motorways and trunk roads they will be set by Highways England, on all other roads it is the local authority - either a unitary or county council. Before a speed limit is set the police are consulted and a traffic regulation order is issued. The criteria for the speed limits are set by the Highways Authority, taking government advice into account. This will include the road characteristics, existing speed of traffic and the number of crashes.

Q. My notice arrived more than 14 days after the alleged offence. Shouldn't I have been advised within that timescale?
The notice must be sent to the registered keeper, as shown on DVLA records, so that it can reasonably be expected to arrive within 14 days of the alleged offence. If you are not the keeper, but are named as a driver, the notification period may be longer.

Q. A friend/relative was driving the car?
If someone else was driving the car you may be required to provide a valid insurance certificate to prove that they were legally able to drive your vehicle. If you are unable to provide a valid insurance certificate to cover the nominated person on the day of the offence, then you will have possibly committed a more serious offence. This may result in prosecution for an offence of 'permitting no insurance' against you. This offence, if found guilty, has a penalty of 6-8 points and up to a £1000 fine.  If the person driving was from outside the UK this does not mean that the NIP will be automatically cancelled. You must still provide a valid insurance certificate to cover that person on the date the offence was committed.

Q. My name and/or address on my driving licence are not correct?
You should apply for a replacement AFTER you have dealt with this NIP. In the event of a name change, a photocopy of the marriage certificate, deed poll or divorce decree will assist the processing of this matter. Further information can be obtained by telephoning the Central Ticket Office, Customer Service Desk.

Q. Are the camera sites we operate legal?
All of Staffordshire's camera sites adhere to current government legislation and the Staffordshire Safer Roads Partnership's vehicles are situated along advertised enforcement routes (Fixed camera locations) (Latest mobile camera routes).

Q. Are the cameras accurate?
All of our equipment is Home Office approved. The cameras are sent to the manufacturer at the required frequency to be calibrated. A calibration certificate is issued which can then be produced in Court when required. PDF copies of calibration certificates for our cameras can be found by following this link (Calibration certificates). Alternatively we can send hard copies of certificates if required.

Q. How do I know the person operating the camera is qualified to do so?
All Technicians have received rigorous training before being able to undertake enforcement activities. We do not provide copies of training documentation.

Q. I can't afford to pay the fine in one go…
Instalments cannot be accepted other than at Court.

Q. I was caught in a 30mph area. Why weren't there any signs telling me it was 30?
On any road where there are street lights and no signs telling you otherwise the speed limit is 30mph. Highway Code Rule 124 refers.

Q. Can I obtain information through the Freedom of Information Act?
Under Section 31, Freedom of Information Act 2000, all evidence pertaining to an ongoing case is exempt from disclosure.

Formal disclosure of evidence may be made to your legal counsel after a 'Not Guilty' plea has been entered.

This disclosure will be made by the Crown Prosecution Service and not the Partnership.

Q. I don't believe it was my vehicle…
In these circumstances no photographs will be provided to you. You will be asked to provide images of your vehicle for comparison with those held by the Partnership and a decision made by a Police Officer who will evidence that decision.

Q. I was caught speeding by a mobile camera van that was parked on a grass verge. Is that legal?

The Highways Authority and Staffordshire Police have granted Staffordshire Safer Roads Partnership special dispensation to park on any part of the highway (which includes pavements and grass verges) for the purpose of enforcing traffic offences as long as they are not causing an obstruction.